Certified Apprentice Lighting Technician (CALT)
NALMCO offers the Certified Apprentice Lighting Technician™ (CALT™) certification, a home study program that is indispensable for technicians. The CALT teaches basic lighting terminology and lighting management operations, and serves as the prerequisite to obtaining the Certified Senior Lighting Technician (CSLT) designation.
The CALT exam covers:
- Introduction to Lighting
- Incandescent Lighting
- Fluorescent Lighting
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Lighting
- LED Lighting
- Lighting Controls
- Service Basics
- Safety Codes
When you enroll in the CALT program, you will receive the electronic training manual, Lighten Up!
, access to take the CALT computer-based exam, and a three-year certification enrollment. Upon enrollment, participants have 180 days to take the exam. ENROLL TODAY.
Preparing for the Exam
The CALT certification is a self-study course. Some companies offer to teach the course in a group setting, supplementing the lecture with reading and discussion. Others may opt to have technicians read the training manual and then meet in person to review and prepare for the exam. Finally, some candidates study and prepare solely on their own. Be sure to ask your company if they offer a training program.
Enrolling for the Exam
- Purchase the CALT Program.
NOTE: Each technician sitting for the exam must register individually. Exam information and training manuals are sent to the individual taking the exam. Technicians may create an Account on nalmco.org by clicking “Create Account” at the top of the page.
- Candidates will receive an email about their testing session. This email will include their Username, Password and secure URL to take the exam online. Please ensure your program accepts emails from AllianceSafetyCouncil.org. All exam correspondence is sent electronically.
- Candidates have 180 days from the date of online registration to complete the exam.
- Candidates will receive their final score upon completion of the exam. To pass, candidates’ score must be 70 percent or higher.
- After passing the exam, candidates will receive a certificate of completion and a wallet card. The designation CALT will be placed after the candidate’s name.
- If a candidate does not pass, examination retakes are available for $50. You may register for a CALT Exam Retake online, http://nalmco.org/NALMCO/Store/CALT_Products.aspx. Select CALT Exam Retake Fee.
Review the CALT/CSLT Frequently Asked Questions for detailed information on registration, fees, recertification requirements, computer/technology challenges and contact information for further questions.
All CALTs must recertify every three years to maintain their certification statue. Notification will be sent by USPS mail when it’s time to recertify. The CALT certification renewal is $90.
Track your certification renewal hours throughout your renewal cycle using the NALMCO Certification Renewal Credit Tracker.